Recipe modified from http://damndelicious.net/2014/01/11/one-pot-cheeseburger-casserole/
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, diced (5lb bag from Woodmans $1.49)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 boxes (12 oz each) tri color rotini pasta (Aldi $.99 each)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper (Woodmans $.99 for package of 8 or more)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (Woodmans $1.49)
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced (Package from Aldi $.89)
- In large pot put ground beef and onion and cook until beef has browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, ketchup, mustard, bell pepper, mushrooms, tomato, pasta and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-16 minutes.
- Remove from heat and top with cheese. Cover until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with tomato and green onions, if desired.